A display of Russian religious artworks, ranging from the sixteenth through the early twentieth centuries, from the Allegheny College Collection, part of the bequest of Dr. Eric C. Hulmer (Aug 4, 1915-June 23, 1988), a noted conservator from the Butl
For over sixty years, Alison Mason Kingsbury (1898-1989) made Ithaca her home and artistic muse. She was a dedicated twentieth century artist, when to be such with any seriousness as a women in Central New York was a true challenge. And serious she was, producing a remarkable body of work, ranging from commissioned murals to grand regionalist depictions of the Finger Lakes area to small abstract collages.
A. M. K. was an active member of the Cornell University community through her husband, renowned Romance languages professor Morris Bishop, and her own energetic engagement in forwarding artistic activity on campus through exhibitions and lectures. This on-line collection of her artwork draws upon the Alison Mason Kingsbury papers, held by Cornell Library's Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, as well as the collections of The History Center in Tompkins County and numerous private owners.
Editorial cartoons created by artist Bernard Kassoy (1914-2008) document a time when many US policy makers were enthralled by the search for Communist Party members and sympathizers. Pithy drawings and captions produced for the New York Teacher News, a publication of the Teachers Union of the City of New York, portray students and teachers struggling with funding shortfalls, overcrowding, outdated texts, dilapidated buildings, increasing workloads, and stagnant wages, while Board of Education members focus the hunt for Communists.
Efraim Racker was Cornell University's first Albert Einstein Professor of Biochemistry 1966-1991. He spent a long and gratifying life experimenting with science and art. Efraim Racker sold his artwork for scholarships and gave them to colleagues; this digital collection represents images contributed by current owners of Efraim Racker's paintings.
Cornell's plaster cast collection once comprised over 500 plaster casts of statues, statuettes, reliefs and inscriptions from the ancient Near East, ancient Egypt, and the lion's share from ancient Greece and Rome. In addition, casts of different objects from the European Middle Ages, the Renaissance and the 19th century formed part of the holdings. Their establishment as a comprehensive and genuinely academic resource - uncommon for North American Universities followed a European model and is to be understood in the context of 19th century positivism. With this enlargement, Cornell arguably owned one of the largest cast collections in this country.
Later in the 20th century, as casts went out of fashion and space was needed for new offices and lecture halls, most of Cornell's plaster replicas were step by step dispersed, discarded or destroyed. Various attempts to rescue the collection were made since the late 1970s. The database is one of the major steps of a new and ongoing project to restore and re-evaluate Cornell's cast from a scholarly, didactic and aesthetic point of view.
In Greek and Roman culture, many individuals possessed a personal seal, carved into precious or semi-precious stone, which they used to sign their name on legal documents and to seal correspondence. Seals were used as markers of identity and security devices, and carried unique images that were stamped into wax or clay to create impressions. Each image was incised into the stone in negative form, so that it appeared in positive form in its impression, a technique called intaglio.
In Hellenistic Greece and Rome, engraved gems were regarded as collectors' items, displayed in 'gem cabinets' (daktyliothecae) in palaces and temples. During the Middle Ages, ancient gems were often set into other treasured objects, such as jewelry, book covers, and even crosses and reliquaries. From the Renaissance onwards, collectors of Greek and Roman art were keen to emulate ancients such as Julius Caesar in creating their own daktylioth ecae, and today, every major collection of antiquities includes hundreds of engraved gems.
Cornell is lucky enough to possess its own extensive daktyliotheca, purchased from a German manufacturer called Gustav Eichler (1801-77) during the 19th Century and given to the university by its first president, Andrew Dickson White. Based on a collection in the Berlin Museum, it includes almost two thousand plaster casts of Greek, Roman and Egyptian seal-stones, as well as replicas of Medieval, Renaissance and Neoclassical medallions. The Eichler volumes are now stored in Olin Library's Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections.
The 220 models in Cornell University's Reuleaux Collection were built in the late 19th century to demonstrate the elements of machine motion, as theorized by the German engineer Franz Reuleaux. The University acquired the models in 1882 for use in teaching and research. This is KMODDL's core collection and at present is the most extensively documented.
The Kruizenga Art Museum at Hope College holds diverse artwork from Tibet and Mongolia, and within that body is a fine collection of Mongolian borhany zuraag, translated loosely as "Buddhist deity painting." These miniature deity paintings represent one facet of how Buddhism has been worshiped in Mongolia. Typically framed and worn as amulets, these objects functioned as devotional icons to provide spiritual or protective benefits. Both Buddhist monks and laypeople used these paintings to facilitate their worship. Each deity symbolizes a specific influence, and would be called upon to aid the devout in various ways. Items might also be added - including pictures of other deities, sutra pages, inscriptions, and other materials (which can also be viewed in this collection) - to enhance the spiritual power of the amulet. Hope College's Van Wylen Library and Kruizenga Art Museum collaborated to catalog, digitize, and share this collection.
Established in 2007, the OCAD University Zine Library is an ever-growing collection of self-published and handmade objects located in the OCAD University Library's Learning Zone. The collection was created to inspire, educate and entertain, to encourage collaboration between OCAD U students and to open up the world of zines for readers and creators everywhere! Learn more about our collection and its history.
The collection includes over 900 items and is housed at Dayton Memorial Library on the Denver (Lowell) campus. Father Thomas J. Steele, who retired as a Regis College faculty member in 1997, assembled the collection from the mid-1960s until his death in 2010, and the collection continues to grow. A selection of santos from the collection is on display in the Thomas J. Steele, S.J. Gallery on the library's third floor. Other santos are on display in Clarke Hall on the Lowell campus, and at the Interlocken, Colorado Springs, and Thornton campuses. Visit our LibGuide for more information.
This collection of Golden-Age Illustration was compiled by Rhode Island watercolor artist, Abigail Whipple Cooke. The prints were collected from various turn-of-the century magazines such as Harper's, Collier's, Scribner's and McClure's, and compiled in a scrapbook. The RISD Library purchased this collection in 2012. Artists represented include J.C. Leyendecker, Maxfield Parrish, Howard Pyle, Jessie Wilcox Smith, Walter Appleton Clark, William Hurd Lawrence, Ann Whelan Betts, and others.
The pioneering work of Dutch scientist Arthur Loeb (1923 to 2002) established new ways of envisioning the structure of space at macro and molecular scales. The 2D tessellation prints illustrate core principles of pattern, symmetry and structure found both in nature and the built environment.
The Symmetry Portfolio, 164 geometric silkscreens produced by Loeb and his teaching assistant, artist Holly Alderman are part of the greater Arthur Loeb Design Science Teaching Collection left to RISD. The portfolio presents all infinite tessellating symmetry systems possible in the plane. His intent was to display all the possible networks of two dimensional structures and to invite students to read between the lines of patterns, to find the inter-connections, roto-centers, symmetry lines, mirrors, glides, reflections, angles, relationships, and repetition of elements.
Ping is a 1968 multimedia work by Roger Reynolds on a text by Samuel Beckett. It involves slide projections, a film of a Butoh dancer made in Japan, pre-recorded electro-acoustic sound, live electronic processing, and a score for flute, percussion, and piano. This collection is an illustrative portion of the components and related documentation, including compositional sketches and diagrams, films, interviews with Reynolds, and photographs from both the 1968 and 2011 performances at UCSD.
Abby Donovan and the 181 is a growing collection that contains documentation of actions, performances, and situational compositions created by this University of Delaware art professor and her artist collective the 181. Members of the 181 include Tom Hughes and University of Delaware alumni Brandon Boan and Jason Rhodes.
The Charles Allmond slides contains approximately 700 color images of Delaware artist Charles Allmond's sculptural works. The arrangement represents the artist's original organization of the slides in two binders by general subject, including abstracts, jars and earthenware and human subjects; birds; animals; fish, shells, and sea life; and a category Allmond described as "early work." Allmond worked in a variety of media, including stone, wood , and bronze. Each slide includes the work's title, medium, and dimensions. For many works, multiple views are available.
A digital archive of stickers and other street-based ephemera. Ubiquitous in urban centers around the world, stickers grace every imaginable surface of the built environment. Situated metaphorically at a busy intersection of imagery and content, stickers address both the personal and the political. In some cases, artists "tag" a wall or sign, leaving behind messages mysterious or mundane. Artists also use humor and irony to subvert advertisements as a form of culture jamming. Recent political stickers survey Occupy and indignados protests in the U.S. and Spain, respectively. In 2015, the U.S. Council of Independent Colleges selected the digital archive as one of 47 projects to be included in Shared Shelf Commons. St. Lawrence received a four-year grant to build the archive and enhance its use in teaching and scholarship. Many items in the archive were donated by Oliver Baudach, founder and director of Hatch Kingdom (Berlin, Germany), the world's first museum devoted to stickers.
The John Henry Kilbuck Collection was donated to Ottawa University in 1911 by the wife of Moravian missionary, John Kilbuck who worked in Alaska during the 1880's. The Collection consists of Yup'ik Indian artifacts, whale bones and photographs c. 1880.
This collection of seashells represents many species of mollusks. All were collected at different times and by many collectors.
The Pratt Institute Libraries' Rare Books and Special Collections contain roughly 9,000 volumes of broad content spanning from the 15th through the 21st century. The collections include pop-up books, artists' books, oversized volumes on fashion, architecture, decorative arts, fine arts, design and photography, and ephemera ranging from books on local history to historic recipes, as well as a bookplate collection.
The William Augustus Brewer Bookplate Collection comprises 12,680 printed bookplates dating mainly from the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The collection includes bookplates from the libraries of John Carter Brown, Lewis Carroll, Samuel L. Clemens, Calvin Coolidge, Charles Dickens, Walt Disney, Edward Gibbon, Alexander Hamilton, Harry Houdini, Samuel Pepys, Howard Pyle, Paul Revere, Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, Alfred Stieglitz and William Butler Yeats, as well as many others. The designers of the bookplates include Thomas Bewick, Edward Burne-Jones, Kate Greenaway, William Hogarth, Howard Pyle, Rudolf Ruzicka, and James A. M. Whistler.
These images represent the photography and artwork of Albert Winslow Barker (1874-1947) in the collection of Bryn Mawr College. Barker lived for most of his life in the Philadelphia area; he is best known as a printmaker who studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and who taught at the School of Industrial Arts in Philadelphia and in the public schools in Wilmington, Delaware. Following the trip to Greece and Italy in 1910 represented by some of the photographs in this collection, he returned to college to earn an A.B. in Greek and Latin in 1917 from Haverford College, and a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in 1921 with the dissertation "A Classification of the Chitons worn by Greek Women as Shown in Works of Art." He researched and lectured on Greek dress using the images in this collection. Barker started his artistic career drawing with charcoal, but in 1927 began studying lithography, and devoted himself to this branch of printmaking, including developing improved processes for lithography. Starting in 1929, he began working with the owner of the Massachusetts gallery The Print Corner, Elizabeth Whitmore (with whom he and his wife developed a close friendship), and continued to support himself on sales of his art until his death in 1947. The art and archival collections of Albert Winslow Barker held by Bryn Mawr College were a gift of his daughter, Elizabeth R. Barker (Class of 1932).
Richard S. Ellis, Professor Emeritus of Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology, taught at Bryn Mawr College from 1973 to 2004. He is the author of a book, Foundation Deposits in Ancient Mesopotamia, and numerous articles on the art and archaeology of Mesopotamia and Turkey. He directed the Bryn Mawr College excavations at Gritille on the Euphrates in Turkey, a site which ranged from the Neolithic through Medieval periods. This collection of images represents photographs Ellis took of buildings and archaeological sites in Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Greece, Egypt, and Sudan.
Digital images of Pennsylvania covered bridges reproduced from slides, negatives, and original photographs taken between 1936 and 1937 by Dr. Nelson F. Davis, Professor of Biology at Bucknell University from 1898 to 1939.
'First Blacks in the Americas' is a history project of the CUNY Dominican Studies Institute at The City College of New York devoted to disseminating research and rigorous information about the history of the earliest people of Black African descent that arrived, resided and stayed in the Americas from 1492 onwards, and whose continued presence in the New World ever since is clearly shown on historical records.
The first territory of the Americas where those early Black Africans landed and lived, struggled, bred and died, was the island of La Española (called "Hispaniola" in English and other non-Spanish languages), the first European colony established by the Spaniards in the New World. La Española, today the home of the Dominican Republic and the Republic of Haiti, existed first as a one-island Spanish colony during the entire sixteenth century, when its population became the first one in the Americas with a majority of people of African descent. This early Black population, free and enslaved, are the earliest direct African ancestors of today's Black and/or dark-skinned Dominicans. They are also the source of the African cultural heritage of the Dominican people as it exists today.
The present collection of photos encompasses a variety of images pertaining to different scenarios-- physical, social, and economic-- where the early Black inhabitants of La Española, free and enslaved, participated, beginning in the sixteenth century.
Frank Bunker Gilbreth (1868 - 1924) and Lillian Moller Gilbreth (1878 - 1972) were efficiency experts and management engineers who developed motion studies with a goal to reduce production-related fatigue and improve output. A precursor to ergonomics, techniques included creating chronocyclographs to analyze complex movements made by expert workers in order to understand work patterns and to choreograph the 'one best way' to do each task. Single photographs and stereographic pairs document research equipment, techniques, and motions studies.
The collection consists of Icelandic and Faroese photographs by Frederick W. W. Howell, Henry A. Perkins, and Magnús Ólafsson. At the end of the nineteenth century, the British artist, photographer and traveler Frederick W.W. Howell, F.R.G.S., recorded Icelandic and Faroese landscapes, farmsteads, towns and people in a remarkable series of photographs that depicted Iceland and the Faeroe Islands on the edge of modernity. Daniel Willard Fiske, who bequeathed the Fiske Icelandic Collection to Cornell University, purchased over 400 prints from Howell around the turn of the century. Halldór Hermannsson, the collection's first curator, mounted the prints around 1923 in six albums and supplied the prints with captions. (A small group of photographs includes the work of Henry A. Perkins, an American, and Magnús Ólafsson, an Icelander.)
Asia Rare Materials Archive (KARMA) includes 19th and 20th century photographs, color lithographs, illustrated books, stereographs, woodblock prints and diaries from the Cornell University Library's Division of Asia Collections. These materials originate from East, South and Southeast Asia.
This collection of African-American photographs stands to make a major impact on the study of African American visual culture in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries as they reveal volumes about black life and struggles in uncommonly rare photographs. Through digitization this resource will be widely available to scholars of African American Studies, Art History, American Studies and the History of Photography. These materials complement already existing Cornell collections, including the May Anti-Slavery, Hip Hop, Noyes and Rudin materials.
Midvale Steel Company operated in Pennsylvania from 1867-1976 under a succession of corporate names, producing high quality cast, forged, and machined steel used especially for locomotive tires, military armaments, and steam turbines. Frederick Taylor, Henry Gantt and others developed 'scientific management' for industrial engineering while at Midvale. Photographs document Midvale's facilities and workers at steel furnaces, rolling mills, cast steel pours, steam hammers, and lathes, and include shop esprit de corps, war efforts, and lighting advertisements.
The socialist daily New York Call was founded in 1908 in New York City and continued in publication until 1923 circulating works by Eugene Debs, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, Robert Minor, Kate Richards O'Hare, Margaret Sanger, Agnes Smedley, Rose Pastor Stokes, Norman Thomas and others. Photographic documentation includes workers' living conditions, small garment shops and factories, labor actions, labor leaders, and public figures.
The image archives here are drawn from the Medical Center Archives collection of over 20,000 photographs, postcards, drawings, and architectural sketches dating from the nineteenth century to the present time. Included are images from the following core collections: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell (New York Hospital), Weill Cornell Medical College (Cornell University Medical College), Cornell University-New York Hospital School of Nursing, Biography Files, Westchester Division (Bloomingdale Asylum), Personal Collections, Ninth General Hospital, and Lying-In Hospital of the City of New York.
The collections contain scenes of buildings; administrators, physicians, nurses, and residents; classes and student activities; departments; and events. Prominent individuals featured include such pioneers as George Papanicolaou, Julia Stimson, Vincent du Vigneaud, and Connie Guion. Scenes of the World War I Base Hospital No. 9 in France and the World War II Ninth General Hospital in the South Pacific represent the Medical Center's participation in the two world wars. While this digital collection will continue to grow, it represents only a portion of the over 20,000 images available in the Medical Center Archives.
In 1937 and again in 1982, photographer Louise Boyle (1910-2005) created probing images documenting the living and working conditions of Southern Tenant Farmers Union (STFU) members in Arkansas and Mississippi. The union was notable for encouraging African Americans and women to join and lead integrated union locals, promoting non-violent tactics, and using songs, prayers, and rituals at meetings, drawing on the inspirational power of the Christian faith to which the majority of its members adhered. Images record African American and white farmers at home, during union meetings, and working in the cotton fields.
The Cornell Hip Hop Collection is the home of the archive of photographer Joe Conzo, Jr., featuring more than 10,000 of his negatives and prints. Called "The man who took Hip-Hop's baby pictures" by the New York Times, Joe Conzo captured images of the South Bronx between 1977 and 1983, including early hip hop jams, street scenes, and Latin music performers and events.
In 1978, while attending South Bronx High School, Conzo became friends with members of the Cold Crush Brothers, an important and influential early Hip Hop group which included DJs Charlie Chase and Tony Tone and MCs Grandmaster Caz, JDL, Easy AD, and Almighty KayGee. Conzo became the group's photographer, documenting their live performances at the T-Connection, Disco Fever, Harlem World, the Ecstasy Garage, and the Hoe Avenue Boy's Club. He also took pictures of other Hip Hop artists and groups, including The Treacherous 3, The Fearless 4, and The Fantastic 5.
These rare images capture Hip Hop when it was still a localized, grassroots culture about to explode into global awareness. Without Joe's images, the world would have little idea of what the earliest era of hip hop looked like, when fabled DJ, MC, and b-boy/girl battles took place in parks, school gymnasiums and neighborhood discos.
Photographs from Archives and Special Collections highlighting life at Emerson College over the years. Offering a glimpse into the people, places and events that make Emerson the vibrant community it is.
The Charles W. Emerson Homestead Collection is a collection of glass plate negative prints from our College founder Charles Wesley Emerson's summer estate in Rochester, Vermont. Depicting Emerson, his family, home and surroundings, this collection offers a glimpse into his country life during the 1890s.
At its Baccalaureate celebration on June 16, 1963, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered the address and received an honorary doctor of letters degree from Keuka College. Many alumni alive today recall the early angst and trepidation they felt in the days leading to preparing for Dr. King's visit, and recount with equal clarity the sense of pride and respect for having witnessed Keuka College's honoring of one of 20th century's greatest leaders. These recollections in written and audio format serve a similar purpose in placing the visitor into the context of time and space while interacting with the materials.
Emily Loveridge founded the Good Samaritan School of Nursing in June 1890, making it the first school of nursing in the Northwest. Through the decades, the school worked through the Great Depression, aided in World War II efforts, and traversed the 60s and 70s with significant increases in student rights and personal freedoms. In 1985, in response to the national trend in nursing education, Good Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing became the Linfield College-Good Samaritan. This collection displays photographs taken throughout the history of the Linfield College-Good Samaritan School of Nursing, from the 1870s-2000s. The collection includes images of Emily Loveridge and family, employees, students, physicians, nurses, and alumni, and it captures the historical admittance of minorities and males. These photographs help to document the expansion of health services, technological advances in medicine, and the larger societal changes that affected nursing education.
The Methodist Library Image Collection at Drew University includes several thousand photographs, drawings, and portraits of people, places, and events associated with global Methodist history. Images range from the 17th century to present day. More than 5,000 images from the collection have been digitized and are available online for research and reference. These digitized images are organized into two categories: Methodist individuals and Methodist buildings and places. For additional information about these images please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Moravian Seminary and College for Women Collection represents a significant portion of the long history of the education of women by the Moravians in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The materials in this collection cover the years 1863 to 1954 and depict the lives of the women in the College and Seminary including their academic studies, living environment, activities and leisure time through photographs and other images.
This collection of fine art photography from major photographers of the 20th and 21st centuries includes portraiture, figurative studies, "street" and documentary photography, as well as other subjects. Represented in the collection are major, well-known photographers as well as emerging artists. Works from Shelby Lee Adams, Lucien Clerque, Annie Leibovitz, Jock Sturges, and other noted photographers are included in the collection.
See the Artstor Blog post about this collection!
This collection contains photographic prints donated by Norbert Kleber, photographer and founder of The Underground Gallery in New York City. Included are works by George Tice, Gerry Uelsmann, Ann Parker, Arthur Tress, Fred Picker and Neal Slavin. The collection was digitized and described by Kevin Hale, a New Hampshire Institute of Art student, during the 2016 fall semester.
Virginia Thoren graduated from Pratt Institute in 1942 with a degree in Advertising and Design. She went on to work as a couture photographer for such magazines as Vogue and Town and Country. The Virginia Thoren Collection was curated Thoren's close friend by Betty Guernsey and donated to the Pratt Institute Libraries in 2007. It consists of professional and personal shots of top models, photographs of friends and society people, landscape photographs, scrapbooks, and other personal items. The collection is housed in the Brooklyn Campus of the Pratt Institute Libraries and managed by the Visual Resources Center. For more information about the collection, please contact email@example.com.
The papers of Father Armand William Forstall, S.J. contain only a small amount of personal information about his family, childhood, and friends. Instead, the materials in this collection largely concern his academic life as both a student and as a teacher. There is also information about the assaying work he did in Colorado, and the correspondence he received from seismographic stations around the world detailing their measurements. There is correspondence about a patent to handle fabric, and the equations he supplied the Keuffel and Esser Company which enabled them to manufacture a log log slide rule in 1908. The collection includes many of his academic notebooks which he created during his schooling, as well as those he created while teaching mathematics, chemistry, and physics. Visit our LibGuide for more information.
The Charles Roitz Photography Collection was donated by the Roitz family in 2013. The collection consists of approximately 350 original prints from two limited edition retrospective folios and nine specific project compilations. Visit our LibGuide for more information.
The focus of this collection is Admiral Richard H. Truly's career with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) from 1969 to 1983 and from 1986 to 1992. The bulk of the collection consists of papers accumulated by Truly during his Administrative positions at NASA from 1986 to 1992. There are also some papers accumulated while he was an Astronaut (1969 to 1983), while Commander of the Naval Space Command (1983 to 1986), and while Director of Georgia Tech Research Institute (1992 to 1997). These papers include correspondence, speeches, to-do lists, schedules, daily logs, newspaper clippings, photographs, and technical reports and presentations. Visit our LibGuide for more information.
David Baxter is a Rhode Island College alumnus. He travelled to Cape Verde several times during the 1980s. The photographs documenting his time in Cape Verde were later donated to Rhode Island College Special Collections.
A collection of micro and macro imagery describing forms in nature including landforms, minerals, aquatic and terrestrial animal and plant life, insects, cellular structures and skeletal segments.
St. Thomas University: The Voice was a Roman Catholic newspaper of the Archdiocese of Miami from 1959 until 1990. This photograph collection consists of The Voice and La Voz editorial photograph files, including the newspaper editorial files, photographic archive, and political cartoon files from the Archdiocese of Miami. The photographs were either taken by staff photographers or collected by the newspaper. The total collection contains approximately 400,000 to 500,000 photographic prints and negatives. These images depict people, places, and events in South Florida, Cuba, and other parts of the world as they intersected with the concerns and activities of the Catholic Church and the Archdiocese of Miami. The collection is currently housed in the Archbishop John C. Favalora Archive and Museum.
Access to this collection is made possible by support from the Council of Independent Colleges and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Collection of 112 chromolithographs from photographs by William Henry Jackson, photographer (1843-1942), produced by the Detroit Photographic Co., ca. 1900.
The Alexander Gardner Photographs of Lincoln Assassination Conspirators collection consists of 10 photographs, most of them taken during the execution of four of the men who were involved in the plot to assassinate President Abraham Lincoln. Alexander Gardner worked for the well-known photographer, Matthew Brady, and is known for his photographs of President Abraham Lincoln, the American Civil War, and and the execution of Lincoln's conspirators. Gardner was the only photographer allowed to photograph the execution of these four conspirators on July 7, 1865.
The George Handy Bates Samoan Papers: Photographs digital collection includes over one hundred forty albumen print photographs of the people and scenic views of Fiji, Hawaii, New Zealand, Samoa, Tahiti, and Tonga. The photographs make up Series III of the George Handy Bates Samoan Papers in the Special Collections Department of the University of Delaware Library.
Shipley, Bringhurst, and Hargraves are the family names associated with Rockwood, a Victorian Rural Gothic Revival mansion and estate that was built in north Wilmington, Delaware, between 1851 and 1854. The photographs series of the family papers (MSS 684 Series IV.A), circa 1840-1980 (bulk dates 1880-1935), comprises approximately ten thousand photos created and kept by the extended Bringhurst family and contains examples of early photographic processes, historic original prints, and later prints developed from original negatives.
The bulk of the photographs in this collection were generated by the family of Edward Bringhurst, Jr. and Anna James Webb Bringhurst and their descendants, the generations who acquired the Rockwood mansion from the estate of its builder, Joseph Shipley, and lived there continuously from 1892 until the property was donated to New Castle County in the mid-1970s. Edward Bringhurst, Jr. (1835-1912) was born shortly before the invention of photography. Given the comprehensive documentation of this multi-generational family archive, virtually every historic type of photography is represented in Series IV.A: daguerreotypes, tintypes, cyanotypes, cartes-de-visite, albumen prints, and later processes. The Bringhurst family photographs include studio portraits; domestic scenes of family, friends, and servants; popular photography of recreation and social events; travel photography across the United States and abroad in Europe, especially in Ireland; scenic photography of the Rockwood property and Kilwaughter Castle in Larne Ireland (home of Elizabeth Bringhurst Galt-Smith); and artistic photography by Edward Bringhurst III/V, an accomplished amateur who participated in Wilmington salons organized by the Delaware Camera Club in 1934 and '1935.
The Willard Stewart WPA and HABS Photographs of Delaware Collection contains 246 photographs of landscapes and buildings in Delaware taken by the prominent Wilmington, Delaware photographer, Willard S. Stewart (1915-2003). Most of the photographs are undated. The two that are have dates of 1936 and 1938, which suggests that the rest of the photographs also date to around these years, as does the fact that some of the images appear in WPA publications that came out also in 1936 and 1938.
Georges Michaud was born in Saint-Alexandre de Kamouraska, Quebec on August 6, 1895 and died in Gatineau, Quebec on November 13, 1986. An agronomist, he studied in Agricultural Sciences at Laval University, in cooperative, farm business management and rural sociology at Cornell University, and in Social Sciences at the University of Ottawa. He was agronomist at the New Brunswick, Saskatchewan and Ontario Ministries of Agriculture, school of agriculture inspector and propagandist of the Cercles de jeunes agriculteurs for the Quebec Ministry of Agriculture. He was an active member of the Agricultural Institute of Canada, the Union des familles rurales de Kent et Essex, the Ordre de Jacques Cartier, and the Conseil de la vie francaise en Amerique. An amateur photographer, he documented the various settings of his diverse activities from 1909 to 1980, many parts of French Canada. The CRCCF fonds includes about 1,500 photos.
This collection holds more than 4,000 images of Marian Anderson and her milieu, including photographs taken at Marianna Farm, photographic scrapbooks, oversize photographs, and photographs of friends, colleagues, and admirers of the renowned singer and Philadelphia native.
The Bernard H. Hall Abraham Lincoln Collection contains 10,000 items and memorabilia, some rare and unique. Bernard H. Hall donated the collection to the University of Saint Mary in 1970. The collection includes portraits, busts, ephemera, letters, documents, and one of the 14 known original copies of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
The photographs in this collection were taken in March-April 1972 by William A. Joseph while he was a participant in the second delegation of the Committee of Concerned Asian Scholars (CCAS) to the People's Republic of China (PRC). Joseph is a Professor of Political Science at Wellesley College. You can read more about the project here.
The following keywords were used to classify the images of this collection. Users may find it helpful to use one or more of them as search terms:
-children, elderly, historical sites, women
-agriculture, culture, daily life, education, industry, health care, politics
-Beijing, Border (Lowu), Guangzhou, Jinan, Lowu, Shanghai, Shashiyu (Hebei), Tangshan, Tianjin, Wuxi, Zunhua (Hebei)
Given to Trinity College by George Watson Cole, the collection includes over 10,000 postcards primarily from pre-World War I Europe, purchased by Cole during his travels of 1911 to 1914. Born in Warren, Connecticut, Mr. Cole was a renowned librarian whose accomplishments include extensive bibliography and cataloging of the collections of the Elihu D. Church Library in New York, and Henry Huntington Library in California.
The collection comprises over two thousand postcards of Delaware and nearby areas. The postcards in the collection date mainly from the very end of the nineteenth century to the mid-twentieth, although there are also postcards from throughout the later part of the twentieth century. Most of the cards in the collection were commercially produced and represent well-known Delaware buildings, monuments, and views, such as the State Capitol in Dover, Wilmington's downtown buildings and historic structures, and Rehoboth's beaches and boardwalks. A number of the cards, though, document small town life in Delaware.
'Dominican Artists in the United States' is a digital project of the CUNY Dominican Studies Institute at The City College of New York devoted to disseminating the work of artists of Dominican descent living in the United States. This particular collection focuses on the artist Josefina Baez, storyteller, performer, writer, theatre director, educator, and devotee. She is the founder of the Ay Ombe Theatre. For more information, visit: https://about.me/josefinabaezayombet
The Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections is Cornell's principal repository of rare books, manuscripts, and archival materials. The Division holds over 500,000 printed volumes, more than 80 million manuscripts, and another million photographs, paintings, prints, and other visual media. Among these are particularly strong collections of early photography, the history of science, human sexuality, witchcraft, the French Revolution, the Civil War and the abolitionist movement, Dante and Petrarch, Icelandic history and literature, urban planning, new media art, and musical movements such as Hip Hop and punk. The Division is also home to Cornell University's Archives. This digital collection consists of images drawn from a range of subject areas in the Division.
Founded in 1900, the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union (ILGWU) grew in scope, size, and influence to become a powerful force in American organized labor. Representing workers in the women's garment industry, the ILGWU worked to improve the working and living conditions of its members. Photographs document the workers, the industry, the shops, and factories, as well as the union, its leadership, members, and activities.
In 2008 Cornell Library's Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections (RMC) began building a collection of political campaign publicity and memorabilia documenting the campaign and election of President Barack Obama. Online access to these materials providse a unique visual iconography of the election of America's first black President. It will constitute an important teaching and research resource for understanding modern campaign strategies and political mobilization. The resulting digital collection will be of interest to multiple disciplines, including art, art history, history, American studies, Africana studies, media studies, visual studies, political science, and government.
Since 2014, the Dartmouth College Library has selectively collected over a dozen titles of Chinese graphic novels ranging from 1957-1989 with the majority published in the 1970???s. The examples in this exhibit provide some insight into how millions of Chinese school aged children were educating themselves in the midst of political turmoil during the Cultural Revolution. In addition, they provide readers a glimpse of what life was like under the circumstances and serve as a testimony to the impacts these movements brought to people and society.
In April and May of 1969, Emerson's Black Organization with Natural Interests (EBONI) submitted ten proposals to Emerson College's then president to improve campus conditions for Black students. This collection of digitized materials offers a unique perspective into student activism and the administration's response during this turbulent time. Included in the collection are reports, newspaper clippings, meeting minutes, and internal communication.
Dr. Louis P. Dame was a native of the Netherlands. He attended Chicago schools and graduated from the University of Illinois College of Medicine and Lewis Institute. He married the former Elizabeth Purdie, a 1908 graduate of the Chicago Normal College. He was a veteran of World War I, serving in Puerto Rico. The Dames served as missionaries with the Arabian missions from May 1918 to November 1936, where Louis conducted a clinic at Riaah and won the goodwill of King of Saudi Arabia Ibn Saud. The greater part of his time was spent in Bahrain as the doctor in charge of the Mason Memorial Hospital. Mrs. Dame re-established a Girls' School in 1922. After leaving the missionary field, Dr. Dame and his wife settled in Rockford, Illinois, where he practiced medicine for 11 years. The collection contains essays written by Dr. Dame; newspaper and magazine articles; photographs; and correspondence.
This is a collection of articles, photographs and newspaper cuttings about the Ottawa Indians and the tribe's connection with Ottawa University, Ottawa, Kansas.
This is a collection of Pi Kappa Delta National Honor Society artifacts, photographs and historical documents, organized and digitized by Alpha Chapter of this Forensics/Debate Organization, founded by John Shields and E.R. Nichols at Ottawa University in 1913.
Founded in September 2015, the Southwest Virginia LGBTQ+ History Project is a community-based public history initiative committed to researching and telling the stories of LGBTQ+ individuals and organizations where we live. For more information on this project, please visit lgbthistory.pages.roanoke.edu.
St. Thomas University: The Voice was a Roman Catholic newspaper of the Archdiocese of Miami from 1959 until 1990. In 1990, The Voice became part of the Florida Catholic of Miami newspaper. This collection contains every issue of The Voice and its Spanish language edition La Voz, Catolica. La Voz Catolica ran from 1958 to 2009 and resume limited distribution in 2013. La Voz began as a two-page insert to The Voice and later in 1982 launched as a stand-alone newspaper. The collection contain issues of The Voice and its variant, La Voz and The Florida Catholic. Many of the issues has been preserved in the archives of St. Thomas University Library.
Access to this collection is made possible by support from the Council of Independent Colleges and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This collection brings together historical Rhode Island election tickets (ballots), digitized and sourced from several archival collections around the state. Rhode Island was the first English colony in America to issue printed election tickets starting in the mid-1700s. A study of this topic is available at http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/lib_ts_pubs/17/
High quality digital images of the plates (180) from Furtwangler, Adolf und Reichhold, Karl, Griechische Vasenmalerei, Serie I-III (1904-1932), from the collection of the Williams College Archives, presented for open access.
During the fall semesters of 2006 and 2008, professor David Del Testa's History 100 courses worked with Special Collections/University Archives' World War II poster collection to photograph, research, and describe individual posters that developed into an image collection.
The Cornell Hip Hop Collection features more than 500 party and event flyers ca. 1977-1984. This is the largest known institutional collection of these scarce flyers, which have become increasingly valued for the details they provide about early Hip Hop culture.
Created entirely by hand, well before widespread use of design software, these flyers preserve raw data from the days when Hip Hop was primarily a live, performance-based culture in the Bronx. They contain information about early Hip Hop groups, individual MCs and DJs, promoters, venues, dress codes, admission prices, shout outs and more. Celebrated designers, such as Buddy Esquire ("The Flyer King") and Phase 2, made these flyers using magazine cutouts, original photographs, drawings, and dry-transfer letters.
To make these important historical documents more accessible to students, researchers, and enthusiasts, Cornell University Library, with funding provided by Cornell's College of Arts & Sciences, will make digitized versions of these flyers freely available to the public.
Here is the first group to be digitized: a collection of 127 flyers formerly owned by Breakbeat Lenny (Lenny Roberts), founder and co-producer (alongside his partner, Louis Flores a.k.a. Breakbeat Lou) of the influential LP compilation series "Ultimate Breaks and Beats."
In 1985, a Cuban poet Alfredo Zaldivar and an artist Rolando Estevez established a literary forum for a group of Cuban artists in Matanzas, Cuba and called it Ediciones Vigía. For over twenty years now the goal for these artists has been to create beautiful handmade books. Through all of the social and political shifts, and even a severe paper shortage the artists have found ways to create works of enormous artistry, imagination, and creativity, by using found and recycled materials, such as leaves, sand, broken glass, and plastic.
Although a specific artist creates each edition, a team of artists in a publishing house in Matanzas works to create multiple copies of the book. On every book, a drawing of a lantern or oil lamp is placed as a logo for the Ediciones Vigía publications. Perhaps, this is synonymous with their missions to light the way for artists and readers to be inspired by the world around them, as well as bringing into light many important Cuban artists and authors.
Dartmouth first began to acquire these books in 2003 as a result of faculty's growing interest in them and since then has acquired more than 100 volumes, located in the Art Special Collection of the Sherman Art Library.
The bulk of the Collection consists of reproductions of stenciled walls found in American structures dating to the Federal Period, 1790-1840. Although examples are primarily from Rhode Island structures, stenciled walls were common throughout New England and other parts of the country. Some of the designs are the last remaining examples of work by itinerant artisans in American structures, as many of the 200-year old buildings containing them are being demolished or the stenciling being painted, plastered or paneled over. Recreations are 30 by 40 inches and utilize full sized stencil motifs traced directly from the original walls and arranged on the surface in layouts as similar to the original as possible. They represent fragments of 200-year-old stenciled interior decoration in size, colorations and layout.
Ann Eckert Brown recorded the stencil designs when researching her books American Wall Stenciling, 1790-1840 (2003), American Painted Floors before 1849 (2008), and Painted Rooms of Rhode Island Colonial and Federal (2013). Brown has researched, executed and taught 18th and 19th century decorative painting techniques for over 40 years with numerous in-studio and on-location restoration projects. In addition to her books she has published for The American Museum in Britain, American Folk Art Museum Magazine, The Decorator (a publication of the Historical Society of Early American Decoration (HSEAD), etc. She continues to be keenly interested in preserving the rapidly disappearing examples of early American architectural paint, working with The Painted Wall Preservation Center, in Hallowell, ME, and consulting on new architectural paint discoveries.
Primary Sources for Exploration and Education courtesy of Musselman Library's Special Collections and College Archives.
Posters held in the RISD Library Graphic Design and Illustration Archive
This collection comprises 23 color lithographs printed by Rosenthal's Lith. of Philadelphia between 1861 and 1865.The views are a part of a large number of Civil War battle and camp scenes published by the company. Over one hundred and fifty views of specific battles and encampments were made from pencil drawings and hand-colored after printing. Although not signed, the images are credited to Max Rosenthal, who had a pass that gave him access to every camp of the Army of the Potomac.
The James Schiele Print Collection consists of Civil War prints and other historical images, representing abolition through the Civil War and reconstruction. The prints include portraits, battle scenes, and political cartoons, and represent a variety of printing techniques, from woodcut to chromolithograph. A highlight of the collection is a set of thirty-six Kurz & Allison prints.
The Chicago firm of Kurz & Allison is well known for its production of commemorative prints of American historical scenes. Founded in 1880, the firm's avowed purpose was to design ""for large scale establishments of all kinds, and in originating and placing on the market artistic and fancy prints of the most elaborate workmanship."" Louis Kurz was an acquaintance of Abraham Lincoln, and was sent to sketch several Civil War battles; these sketches inform several of the thirty-six prints in the firm's battlefield series. James Schiele's collection holds all thirty-six of the prints. The only other known collection of all thirty-six Kurz & Allison chromolithographs of the Civil War is located at the Chicago Historical Society.
The prints in the James Schiele Print Collection make up a visual overview of historical events during one of the nation's most tumultuous times, and provide a strong background for cultural and historical studies.
Artstor is in a strategic alliance with ITHAKA, a not-for-profit organization helping the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways.
©2018 Artstor, Inc. All Rights Reserved. JSTOR® and ITHAKA® are registered trademarks of ITHAKA. Artstor® is a registered trademark of Artstor Inc.