The Rose Kennedy Greenway consists of a linear stretch of urban parkland that replaces the elevated expressway in Boston. It is broken up into several district parks.
Each park has its own set of designers affiliated with it. While each park has a different set of work dates, the date range collectively is from 1997 - 2012. That being said, there are always new temporary installations in the parks.
Shared Shelf Institutional Collections are delivered via Shared Shelf, a web-based software solution for creating, sharing, and preserving digital collections.
The John Reps Collection contains over 1,340 personal photographs, plans, and aerial images of urban areas and forms, taken and gathered by Emeritus Professor John W. Reps from over 15 countries around the world from 1958 onwards.
From American shopping malls to Finnish New Towns, the collected images address a wide range of topics and trends relevant to the planner or historian with an interest in comparative international or domestic spatial development. The images included document both private and public responses to challenges related to new town planning, housing, transportation, mixed use development, historic preservation and reconstruction, and downtown redevelopment.
In the 13th Century southwestern France was the birthplace of several hundred new planned towns. Some were designed as fortress communities and others were laid out as simple agricultural villages. The great majority, however, had a different function. Known as bastides, these were created as market towns designed primarily to return a profit to their sponsors as well as concentrating the population in secure places for ease of administration. Their founders were the great feudal lords of the region: kings, dukes, counts and viscounts. Cornell Professor Emeritus John Reps began to explore and photograph these newly founded towns of the 13th-century in 1951. This collection of images recording what he saw then and on 5 later visits document the appearance of these unusual examples of medieval urban design.
The collection contains images of the campus and the local Providence neighborhood as well as the Tillinghast Farm in Barrington, RI. The images include exterior and interior views, construction models and illustrations, and streetscapes. The collection documents the work of architects Joseph Brown, William T. Aldrich, Richard Upjohn, Howard Hoppin, James C. Bucklin, and Thomas Alexander Teft. The oldest building is Market House, designed by Brown in 1773.
The collection was digitized and described by Kate MacBain, a Simmons College School of Library and Information Science intern during the 2012 spring semester.
The 19th Century Architectural Photography Collection is over 1,000 images from Russell Sturgis' photographic collection which are primarily related to architecture and also document period travel, archaeological, and portraiture conventions.
The entire Sturgis photographic collection was inventoried by David Hanlon in 1994-1996 and according to his documentation (now housed in the reference collection at the Kranzberg Art and Architecture Library) there are 15,286 prints at the West Campus Library and 19 travel albums containing 1037 prints at the Kranzberg Library for a total of 16,323 prints.Just over half of the prints have been identified or attributed to a group of 180 specific photographers and photographic editors. This list includes many celebrated photographers such as Édouard-Denis Baldus, Charles Clifford, Robert Macpherson, Bisson Frères, Leopoldo Alinari, E. Compiègne, L. Bourgogne, Jean Pierre Philippe Lampuè, William Henry Goodyear, Ludovico Tuminello, Carlo Ponti, Domenico Bresolin, and Charles H. Winter.
William S. Eames & Thomas C. Young were partners of an architectural firm. Washington University owns eight albums that contain unique photographs of the firm's buildings, under various stages of construction. The Eames and Young Digital Collection holds over 200 images that reside in Washington University's Art & Architecture Library.
In addition to the photo albums, the Eames and Young reference library is owned by Washington University Libraries. The majority of the titles reside in the art and architecture library; some in Art Special Collections, some in art general stacks with a smattering at West Campus. These 99 books are historical works on a broad range of architectural topics such as Renaissance architecture, French or Italian architecture, garden design, etc. Please consult the Library Catalog for a full listing of these reference materials.
Digital Scans, both the stereo view and one single view, from each of these stereographic glass lantern slides produced by the Lachenal and Favre Photographic Company, active France, 1870-1882. Included are images of architecture, gardens, sculpture and cultural views in England, Brussels, France, Germany, Austria, Italy Spain, Switzerland and Russia.
Laszlo Versenyi joined the Williams College faculty in 1958 and was the Mark Hopkins Professor of Philosophy from 1983 until his death in 1988. The photographs were taken during East European travel during the years 1984-1987. After an absence of forty years, he visited Baja, Hungary, the small town of his childhood, as well as many other villages and towns. The churches, most now in Romania, are mostly Calvinist Reformed Churches, many resting on Roman foundations, with Medieval, Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance additions or restorations. Many are fortified, some with separate bell towers and cemeteries. Known for their folk-patterned hangings from the loft, coffered wooden ceilings with panel painting, and pulpits with pulpit crowns, some display Roman Catholic frescoes uncovered from plaster removal during restoration. Included are images of parishioners in traditional dress. Image: Interior of 15th century Fortified Calvinist Church in Zabala, Romania (Zabola, Hungary)
The John Clair Miller Collection is comprised of photographs, drawings, plans and elevations of executed projects and competitions that the architect undertook between 1962 and 2007. Projects include the Church of the Holy Spirit (1965), the Sagan Residence (1972), and the Malott Hall Addition (1975). Also included in this collection are his collage works composed of international ephemera.
Mohamed Saleh Makiya is an Iraqi architect and urban planner. Dr. Makiya established Makiya Associates in Baghdad in 1946 and was one of the original founders of the Department of Architecture at the College of Engineering, Baghdad University in 1959. His firm opened offices in several countries and worked on residential, religious, commercial, and urban planning projects in the Middle East and Persian Gulf. In 2012, the Aga Khan Documentation Center (AKDC) at MIT acquired his archive, which documents his prodigious career and includes a range of materials such as correspondence, project notes, proposals, sketches and drawings, and photo documentation.
This collection includes selected digitized 35mm slides from the archive, including photographs, drawings, and plans documenting a variety of projects both built and unbuilt in areas of the world that have seen much change, destruction, and development since the time Makiya was working there.
Additional information and further digitized content from the archive can be found on Archnet.
This collection contains historical maps, architectural plans, and views from different media (i.e., sketches, water colors, paintings, lithographs, photography, panoramas) created by artists visiting or resident in the city of Rio de Janeiro from 1502 to the present. The collection is linked to the imagineRio project of Rice University.
Artstor is in a strategic alliance with ITHAKA, a not-for-profit organization helping the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways.
©2018 Artstor, Inc. All Rights Reserved. JSTOR® and ITHAKA® are registered trademarks of ITHAKA. Artstor® is a registered trademark of Artstor Inc.