Skip to main content

Shared Shelf Commons

This guide provides an overview of the collections that are freely available in Shared Shelf Commons at www.sscommons.org

Cornell: Mysteries at Eleusis: Images of Inscriptions

This collection of images of ancient inscriptions on stone from Eleusis, Greece, comprises documents of the Sanctuary of the Two Goddesses and the public documents of the deme that were set up within or in front of the Sanctuary, issued by the deme of Eleusis, or set up in the public sanctuaries of the deme. Most of the images are photographs taken by Kevin Clinton, Department of Classics, Cornell University.

Cornell: Squeeze Collection

The Cornell Expedition to Asia Minor and the Assyro-Babylonian Orient (1907-1908) was planned by John Robert Sitlington Sterrett, Professor and Chair of the then Department of Greek at Cornell. He had selected three recent Cornell alumni to lead it: Albert Ten Eyck Olmstead, Jesse E. Wrench, and Benson B. Charles. At the beginning of the Expedition, they spent two weeks securing a squeeze of the Res Gestae of the emperor Augustus as ins cribed on the walls of the temple of Rome and Augustus in Ancyra (modern Ankara, Turkey), known as the Monumentum Ancyranum. The Latin text was inscribed in two parts inside the temple of Rome and Augustus, on the anteae. A Greek translation was inscribed on the outside, on the southern wall of the cella.The Cornell Expedition made 92 squeezes to cover the inscription, 36 for the Latin and 56 for the Greek.

Cornell: The J. R. Sitlington Sterrett Collection of Archaeological Photographs

Cornell: Coin Collection

Cornell's Coin Collection comprises ca. 1500 gold, silver and bronze coins from ancient Greece and Rome, and ca. 300 coins from the Byzantine empire, with some additions from Lydia, Persia, the Sassanid Empire, China and modern Europe. A large number of the coins was acquired by Cornell Professors Eugene P. Andrews and Frederick O. Waage in the first half of the 20th century.

Hollins University: Painted Grave Stelai of Demetrias Pagasai

The Painted Grave Stelai of Demetrias Pagasai collection showcases images of and contextual information on Greek stelai from the Hellenistic period, including works where the colored paintings on the stelai have been unusually well-preserved. The physical stelai are currently housed in the Athanasakeion Archaeological Museum of Volos.

Muhlenberg College: Robert C. Horn Papyri Collection

Muhlenberg College's Robert C. Horn Papyri Collection contains thirty-five pieces of Oxyrhynchus papyri, dating from the first to the seventh century C.E. The collection comprises documentary fragments including a grocery list, personal letters, and official documents, as well as thirteen literary pieces including scriptural material, excerpts from known classics, and three unidentified fragments.

Smith College Van Buren Antiquities Collection

The Van Buren Antiques Collection of Smith College Department of Classical Languages and Literatures is an archeological study collection consisting of approximately 135 objects from Ancient Greece and Italy, including vases, bronzes, terracottas, marbles, glass ware, household utensils, polished pieces of stone and inscriptions. The core of the collection was originally the personal study collection of Albert William Van Buren (1878-1968)

The White Fathers at Carthage: The Collection of the General Archives, Missionaries of Africa (GAMAfr.), Rome Italy

The materials in this digital collection draw from the General Archives, Missionaries of Africa (GAMAfr.), Rome, Italy, and focus on documentation of the archaeological, museological, architectural, and artistic activities of the White Fathers in Carthage (Tunisia) and its surroundings from approximately 1875 to 1965. Many documents also pertain to the daily administration and functioning of the White Fathers' missionary activities and parish churches in the region of Carthage. This collection is maintained by the ''White Fathers at Carthage Digital Research Group,'' which is directed by Christine Atiyeh (Kutztown University of Pennsylvania) and Alicia Walker (Bryn Mawr College). This project is undertaken with the permission and support of the General Archive of The Missionaries of Africa (White Fathers), Rome, Italy (http://www.africamission-mafr.org/archivesdocgb.htm).

UVA Flowerdew Hundred Archaeological Collection

As early as ten thousand years ago, successive groups of Virginia Indians began to occupy the Flowerdew Hundred site. The recorded history of the site begins in 1618, when the Virginia Company of London granted George Yeardley a thousand acres (400 ha) on the James River. English colonists, enslaved African Americans, Union soldiers, and countless others later followed—each group leaving behind evidence of their daily lives. The original land grant contains over 60 archaeological sites ranging from Archaic Native American encampments to Twentieth Century homesteads. Archaeological investigations began at Flowerdew in the late 1960s and continued through 1995 when archaeologist James Deetz led the final excavation within the original limits of the fortified area. The excavations yielded more than 500,000 artifacts, all of which are currently housed at the University of Virginia. Please visit often to see the latest additions to our growing collection.

Yale University Art Gallery: Dura-Europos Collection

The archaeological site of Dura-Europos, in modern Syria, is a fascinating crossroads of ancient cultures. It is perhaps best known for the important finds unearthed during the excavations in the 1920s and 1930s sponsored by Yale University and the French Academy of Inscriptions and Letters. These discoveries included a shrine to the god Mithras, a synagogue whose assembly room walls were covered with painted biblical scenes, and one of the earliest Christian house churches. The paintings and sculpture from these buildings and the over 12,000 artifacts of daily life excavated by the archaeologists now preserved at the Yale University Art Gallery present a vivid picture of life in a Roman city in the third century A.D.

The Yale University Art Gallery has partnered with ARTstor to make the Dura-Europos excavation archive available in the Digital Library. The archive documents both the Greco-Roman and Parthian culture at Dura-Europos and includes images of the art, architecture, and everyday objects from the daily lives of the inhabitants of the city. The collection provides historical documentation of the Dura-Europos archaeological expedition as well as plans, drawings, and photographs recording the artifacts and structures unearthed during the excavations. Also included are images from the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library's extraordinary Yale Papyrus Collection of papyri also excavated at Dura-Europos.

The Yale University Art Gallery, America's oldest and one of its most important university art museums, opened to the public in 1832. Its permanent collection includes more than 185,000 works, divided among eleven curatorial departments: African Art, American Decorative Arts, American Paintings and Sculpture, Ancient Art, Art of the Ancient Americas, Asian Art, Coins and Medals, Early European Art, Indo-Pacific Art, Modern and Contemporary Art, and Prints, Drawings, and Photographs.

Yale University Art Gallery: Gerasa Collection

Ancient Gerasa, located beneath the modern city of Jerash on the Chrysorhoas River in Jordan, is a site that contributes much to scholars understanding of the Roman and Byzantine Near East. Its long and significant history has been revealed by its high level of preservation and years of systematic archaeological exploration. The site was first excavated in the 1920s and 1930s by a team from Yale University, the British School of Archaeology in Jerusalem, and the American Schools of Oriental Research. These excavations focused primarily on the early Byzantine churches and their associated pagan temples. The areas have been further investigated since 1982 by the Jerash Archaeological Project, sponsored by Jordan's Department of Antiquities and composed of a team of international scholars.

Gerasa is the best preserved of the Decapolis, a collective of ten cities in Roman Judea and Syria. It is considered to have been one of the most important cities in the Roman Near East, due to its strategic position on ancient trade routes. During the Roman period, Gerasa was transformed by the construction of an urban grid, which paved the way for colonnaded streets and monumental architecture such as temples, theaters, and open public spaces. Under Byzantine rule (c. A.D. 400-600), many Christian churches and even a Jewish synagogue were built throughout the city; these were often adorned with mosaic decoration. The Gerasa archive at the Gallery contains photographic documentation of the architectural remains and mosaics of these buildings, other finds such as glass vessels, pottery, and lamps, and plans and drawings from the Yale excavation.

The Yale University Art Gallery, America's oldest and one of its most important university art museums, opened to the public in 1832. Its permanent collection includes more than 185,000 works, divided among eleven curatorial departments: African Art, American Decorative Arts, American Paintings and Sculpture, Ancient Art, Art of the Ancient Americas, Asian Art, Coins and Medals, Early European Art, Indo-Pacific Art, Modern and Contemporary Art, and Prints, Drawings, and Photographs.

Yale University Art Gallery: Photographs from Eastern Indonesia and Beyond: The Robert H. and Ruth Barnes Collection

A Documentation Project in the Department of Indo-Pacific Art, Yale University Art Gallery

The photographs were taken by the social anthropologist Robert H. Barnes and his wife Ruth Barnes, an art historian and museum curator. The images document their extensive research stays in Southeast Asia. Their focus has been eastern Indonesia, but there also are photographs from Java, Sumatra, Bali, and Sarawak, as well as from a visit to South India and the Aborigines of Taiwan.

The couple first went to eastern Indonesia in 1969. From September of that year to June 1971 they lived in the mountain hamlet Napoq Wala, which is part of the village Leuwayang, in the Kedang region on Lembata (formerly Lomblen or Lomblem). Kedang is located in the easternmost part of the Solor Islands, just east of Flores. The region has a separate language and is culturally distinct from their western neighbors, the Lamaholot.

They returned to the Lamaholot region in 1979 and 1982, to carry out research in Lamalera, on the south coast of Lembata. In these two trips they were accompanied by their two young children. Lamalera is a village of fishermen and weavers, distinguished for their exceptional skills in both professions. The men hunt large sea animals, including sperm whale and giant manta ray, while the women weave high quality ikat cloths.

From the mid-1990s to 2008 they returned almost every year to eastern Indonesia. In 2000/2001 Robert Barnes spent 15 months in Witihama on the island Adonara.

The Photographs: The first stay in Kedang, which lasted almost two years, was successful from an ethnographic point of view, but disappointing for its photographic record. The visit was financed with a student budget, and the equipment available was not of high quality. Their films, sent back to Europe for development, were lost in the mail and did not arrive until a year after their return. The photographs from 1969-71 therefore are of poor quality. They are nevertheless included here for their considerable ethnographic interest

Bucknell University: DeGregorio Collection of Antiquities

The De Gregorio Collection of Antiquities is a digital collection representing antiquities donated to Bucknell University's Special Collections/University Archives by Dr. and Mrs. Bart DeGregorio. This collection includes wedge-shaped script on Babylonian cuneiform clay tablets, Egyptian hieroglyphs on papyrus, a Mesoamerican ceremonial implement carved on bone, an Armenian illuminated manuscript scroll, and many other antiquities.